May 24, 2011

Review: Black Widow and The Sandman - L. L. Reaper


Hello my friends! I'm updating myself on my reviews - have quite a few late, since I've done too much reading and not nearly enough computer time (and a major case of blogger's block), so let's go!

The Black Widow and the Sandman is a book written on 4 hands and I've interviewed the author, click here if you haven't read it yet. It tells the story of an unlikely duo that, of course, ends up working wonderfully.

Jeanette "Black Widow" Mason and Roman "The Sandman" Tate are murderers. Contracted killers - but neither of them actually does it because they chose to, they are being blackmailed by a man known by different names, who discovered some of their dirty secrets and forced them into doing his jobs.
Now, children in Cuba are dying of a misterious disease, a terrible one, that eats up their flesh and kills them in much pain. And Jeanette, an amazingly brilliant scientist, is their best bet on finding a cure, but they can't be officially in it, so that's where both hers and Roman's gifts com in handy.

Of course, some of the book is very predictable, the couple has some awesome hot tension between them, which is really interesting to read, the villains are greedy bad people, the good guys are killers but because they love too much or think the world is all wrong and they are some sort of vigilantes. Both Black Widow and The Sandman have a soft spot for kids, which makes them work extra hard on the assignment.

But don't take me wrong - the fact that it may be predictable in some parts, doesn't make this less of an awesome book, actually, it is amazing to see the same "general" elements we see in many books tossed around and mixed, used in different ways. I have to admit that anti-heroes are my favorite kind of heroes ;)

I'm ansious to see the sequel, because we didn't quite see Jeanette and Roman in action - ok, not the kind of action -I- wanted, but they did have a nice fight and kill and all after the second half of the book... But I still want all kinds of action *wink wink*

You can buy Black Widow and The Sandman  on The Book Depository and Amazon